HOW TO IMPLEMENT THE BEST PRACTICES AND PROCEDURES FOR STRATA PROPERTY MANAGEMENT
Date: 22 September 2022
Venue: Concorde Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Organiser: Logic Plus Events
Strategic Partners: Chee Hoe & Associates; BurgieLaw, LexScout
*BOVAEP / LPPEH: 5 CPD HOURS APPLIED
This 1-day intensive seminar cum workshop is the third seminar in our Strata Management Seminar Series for 2022. The main focus of this edition would be to enable participants to learn how to implement the best practices and procedures for strata property management.
The KEY TOPICS include:
- How to effectively deliver Vacant Possession to Purchasers
- How to safeguard the Monies in the Common Property Defects Account
- Formation of Management Corporation
- How to properly regulate the use of Common Properties
The speaker will deal with the important issues such as, the latest requirements for delivering vacant possession; who /when can claim from the common property defects account; how to ensure smooth transition from developer to MC; and the proper of the usage of common property by developer and MC.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Property Developers
- Members of the management committee
- Members of the joint management committee
- Legal Practitioners / Consultants
- Property Managers
- Local Authorities & Commissioners
- Property Owners
- Valuers, Appraisers and Estate Agents
Brochures can be downloaded below:
8.30am – 9.00am Registration
9.00am – 10.30am How to effectively deliver Vacant Possession to Purchasers
- What notices are you required to provide before delivering vacant possession?
- How long do you need to lodge Form 25 with Commissioner of Buildings (COB) before delivering vacant possession?
- How much do you need to pay to COB to open the common property defects account?
- What does it mean by estimated cost of construction?
- What is the use of the common property defects account?
- What is the mode of payment?
- Can the amount paid be refunded?
- Can a developer apply for an extension of time?
- Can a developer refuse to repair the defects?
- Can the COB recover expenses incurred and cost of rectification works?
10.30am – 11.00am Coffee Break
11.00am – 12.30pm How to safeguard the Monies in the Common Property Defects Account
- Who can claim from the common property defects account?
- When can you claim from the common property defects account?
- Can you claim during and/or after the defect liability period?
- Can you claim if there is an inter-floor leakage?
- Can you claim if there is a damage to party wall?
- Who can claim? Tenant, Purchaser, Joint Management Body (JMB), Management Corporation (MC)?
- What form do you fill in to claim from the common property defects account?
- What happens next after COB receives the notice?
12.30pm – 1.30pm Networking Lunch
1.30pm – 3.00pm Formation of Management Corporation
- When does a management corporation established?
- What happens if management corporation is established before the formation of JMB?
- When does a developer convene the 1st AGM of MC?
- Does it need to be in Form 14?
- What does the MC need to do after the 1st AGM of MC?
- Who is to issue Form 15?
- What are the information / documents a developer is required to hand over to the Management Corporation?
- When does the developer need to issue Form 13
- If the Developer refuses to hand over info/ documents, what can the MC do?
3.00pm – 3.30pm Tea Break
3.30pm – 5.00pm How to properly regulate the use of Common Properties
- Does the common property vest in MC?
- What is the definition of common property?
- Can a developer enter into an agreement in a period extending beyond the preliminary management period expire?
- What happened to the agreement entered into the developer post 1st AGM of MC?
- What happens if the MC discovers there is a lease entered into by the developer on a common property?
- Can a developer / MC provide exclusivity to a proprietor to the part of common property?
- Does the MC need to enter into an agreement to record the exclusivity?
- Does the MC need to bring the exclusivity to the general body?
- Can the MC lease out part of the common property for alfresco dining / mobile network antenna?
- What happens if the developer has provided exclusivity for a period extending beyond the preliminary management period.
Lai Chee Hoe
Founding / Managing Partner
Chee Hoe & Associates
A Certificate of Legal Practice (“CLP”) Book-prize winner, the founding partner of Chee Hoe & Associates, Mr Lai was admitted and enrolled as an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2005. He was also the Chairperson of the Kuala Lumpur Bar Young Lawyers Committee. He acts for the Bar Council on various cases.
Mr Lai specialises in both civil and corporate litigation in particular strata management disputes. He also provides corporate advisory works and advises corporates on strata related pre-emptive actions. He argues complicated strata management issues in court regularly and is constantly sought after to provide trainings and talks. He acts for joint management committees (JMC), management corporations (MC) and developers. He is the lead counsel for landmark cases such Obata Ambak Holdings, which recently obtained leave to appeal to the Federal Court on seven questions of law post Ang Ming Lee; and the Gas Malaysia case where court made a key decision that the supply of Gas ought not be handed over to the JMB / MC.
He also regularly updates Strata related cases on https://blog.burgielaw.com/. He is also the author of the best-selling book “Strata Management Practice & Procedure, 2019 Edition” published by CLJ Publication.
He is also empanelled with the Asian International Arbitration Centre (“AIAC”) as a chartered arbitrator (fellow of CIArb) and certified adjudicator.
He also sits in the focus committee to propose amendments to the Strata Management Act 2013 and the Strata Management (Maintenance & Management) Regulations 2015
RM850 – Early Bird: Register and Pay by 15September 2022
RM950 – Normal Price: Register and Pay after 15September 2022