1. Keep it in your pants people! Adultery is one of the legal grounds for divorce and will be used against you in court.
2. Strange or unreasonable behavior is another ground for divorce. It’s safe bet to say that you should probably avoid doing stuff like wearing tinfoil hats while muttering about mind-reading aliens or getting into rap battles with scientists.
Seriously, look up the flat Earth theory feud between B.o.B. and Neil deGrasse Tyson.
It is majestic. – ed.
3. If you’ve deserted your spouse for a continuous period of at least two years, that’s also grounds for divorce.
4. If you and your spouse have lived apart for a continuous period of at least two years, courts will recognize this as grounds for divorce. Yeah, pretty much all the grounds for divorce can be used against you.
5. Don’t keep skeletons in the closet when you’re going through a divorce. Pull out all records (for example, receipts) to show that you contributed to your matrimonial home.
6. Won’t somebody think about the children? We may have put this in the bottom half of the list but really, it should go without saying that the interests of your children should be top priority for both you and your (ex-) spouse.
7. Set aside RM8,000 to RM50,000 for legal fees. With all the paperwork and negotiation involved, you’ll be glad you paid for a lawyer.
8. Hire a family lawyer. Divorce is part of their expertise so they’re really the ones who will be able to help you best. You wouldn’t go to a cardiologist to set a broken bone right?
9. Get witnesses ready to testify for you but make sure they’re reliable! You’re going to need all the back up you can get.
10. Brush up on divorce procedures and laws. You should know your rights so that you’re better prepared for the battle ahead.